Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Little help needed in translating a tricky message ;)

Thread: Little help needed in translating a tricky message ;)

Hybrid View

Question Little help needed in translating a tricky message ;)

Hi everyone and thank you in advance for your generous help!

I received lately an e-mail from a vietnamese friend I met in December. We usually exchange in french, but this time he put some mysterious sentences in vietnamese in the middle of the message. I am currently learning the language, but am not advanced enough to understand exactly what he's talking about (especially as he writes without the accents). Moreover, these sentences seem a little bit ambiguous (and they are not related to the rest of the conversation nor to anything I asked), so I would really like to understand fully what he's saying, to avoid any kind of misunderstanding between us.
    If someone could help me, that would be really nice!

Here are the sentences (he's a slightly older guy refering to him as "anh", I'm a girl and he refers to me as "em"):

"Je suis deja marie, il y a un an et demi. Anh gap em muon qua, that la tiec!!! Gia nhu bay gio anh con doc than!!! Em de lai cho anh an tuong that dac biet!

Thoi, thu sau noi chuyen tiep em nhe,

a bien tot em "

(the first sentence in french means something like: "I'm already married, that was one year and a half ago", though his french is not always accurate, especially with the verbs, so i'm not sure if he refers to a past or still present situation) (and the last one means "see you soon").

Thank you again for your help!

Liên

I can understand most of these Vietnamese sentences except the last one "a bien tot em". I don't know French, so I will start with the first Vietnamese sentence. He said: "I met you too late, so sorry!!! I wish I were single!!! You give me a very special impression!
    Alright, let's talk in the next letter, ... (unknown) ..." I'm not good at English, check the translation with someone else if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by bhtbht View Post
    I can understand most of these Vietnamese sentences except the last one "a bien tot em". I don't know French, so I will start with the first Vietnamese sentence. He said: "I met you too late, so sorry!!! I wish I were single!!! You give me a very special impression!
    Alright, let's talk in the next letter, ... (unknown) ..." I'm not good at English, check the translation with someone else if necessary.
    Thanks a lot bhtbht for this translation. That was quite the meaning I had guessed, but I was not sure if the 2nd sentence meant "consider me single" or "i wish i were single".
    If I may ask another question, does "you give me a very special impression" mean that I gave him a good impression, or rather that I let him under a weird impression, the impression that I was interested by him for example?
    I feel stupid to ask for such details, but I really have no idea where these sudden romantic allusions come from, as I never intended to push our relationship on that slope. And since he's a very dear friend, I want to make sure of what he's really saying, in order not to mess up our friendship with linguistic and cultural misunderstandings

Thank you again! Cam on nhieu!

The second sentence exactly meant "if only I were single". The impression is a good one. However, as you know, Vietnamese the sentence is a little bit ambiguous. Commonly, the listener will naturally imply what the speaker says with the tone of previous sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by bhtbht View Post
    The second sentence exactly meant "if only I were single". The impression is a good one. However, as you know, Vietnamese the sentence is a little bit ambiguous. Commonly, the listener will naturally imply what the speaker says with the tone of previous sentences.
    Thanks a lot bhtbht! Now I'll just have to find non-ambiguous ways to answer...

I'm glad to help you. Just ask if you need something else.