Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
English is crazy, but football players' English is much more crazier

Thread: English is crazy, but football players' English is much more crazier

Hybrid View

Default English is crazy, but football players' English is much crazier

Hello football fans, no need to translate, just please help me to guess what this guy means (the sentence in bold):

"So how hard did you have to work to make it as a professional?

- Train everyday till 6. Then, when I got to about 13 to 14 stepping it up a bit.

Starting to go into the gym and working harder and..."

Many thanks,
    Last edited by Phong Lan; 05-07-2009 at 02:49 PM.

1."So how hard did you have to work to make it as a professional? =Có phải thật là trần ai khoải củ (cực nhọc) biết bao khi bạn phải lao động cật lực như một vận động viên chuyên nghiệp( he'd like to say it's so hard to become a professional football player)

2.Train everyday till 6. Then, when I got to about 13 to 14 stepping it up a bit.=Huấn luyện (luyện tập) mỗi ngày cho đến 6 giờ (chiều?). Rồi khi tôi phải gia tăng khối lượng luyện tập từng chút lên 13 đến 14 lần.

3.Starting to go into the gym and working harder and..." = Bắt đầu vào phòng tập thể hình (thể dục) và làm động tác quần quật.....

Câu 2 dịch bừa vậy vì "step up" = "to increase amount, speed,...of something." ngoài ra không rõ ngữ cảnh mấy vì trích hơi ngắn

Để cao nhân góp ý thêm!

Thank english-learner. It's the second sentence (in bold) that gives me headache. Haizzz

Very bad English Train everyday till 6. Then, when I got to about 13 to 14 stepping it up a bit

I'll translate! I trained every day until 6pm. Then, when I reached the age of 13 or 14 I increased my training.

We laugh at footballers in England because for the most part they are poorly educated and grossly overpaid. They talk in cliches. When a footballer expresses his delight at winning in a post match interview he will invariably say "I am over the moon" (I am very happy). Conversely, if he is upset about something he will say "I am as sick as a parrott"

I have included a link to a UK satrical magazine called Private Eye. It has a section called Colemanballs
    http://www.private-eye.co.uk/section...=colemanballs&

The quotes are stupid things that people have said in respect of sporting events.

Thich di!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky42 View Post
    Very bad English Train everyday till 6. Then, when I got to about 13 to 14 stepping it up a bit

I'll translate! I trained every day until 6pm. Then, when I reached the age of 13 or 14 I increased my training.

We laugh at footballers in England because for the most part they are poorly educated and grossly overpaid. They talk in cliches. When a footballer expresses his delight at winning in a post match interview he will invariably say "I am over the moon" (I am very happy). Conversely, if he is upset about something he will say "I am as sick as a parrott"

I have included a link to a UK satrical magazine called Private Eye. It has a section called Colemanballs
    http://www.private-eye.co.uk/section...=colemanballs&

The quotes are stupid things that people have said in respect of sporting events.

Thich di!
    OK, I agree with you, not only english foofballers but also vietnamese, brazil, argentina.... ones
    almost footballers come from poor class. For example: Maradona of Argentina.
    However, there are very few exception. Eg. Platini (France) or DAvid Beckam (England)

Thank you very much, Richard. I've received much help from you. It would be great if you tell me to help you on something so I could feel easy to ask more questions

And, I have another crazy English text (in bold), my friends, please help me to understand it:

"When the seal was broken on Cristiano Ronaldo’s new shoebox in January 2008, you could hear the groans from defenders all over the world. The most in-form player on the planet was hard enough to stop, without adding a new weapon to his arsenal – and it took CR7 a mere 88 minutes to sear his orange peel Vapors into the fans’ memories with his first ever Manchester United hat trick."

Thanks,

Smile

No problem, do you live in Hanoi? If you do we can meet up in 3 weeks and we can chat in Vietnamese and English. I am coming to take a CELTA course. Then, I can teach English to adults!

The most in-form player on the planet was hard enough to stop, without adding a new weapon to his arsenal.

I suspect the journalist might be taking money from Nike. The new weapon in his arsenal is his pair of Vapor Organge Peel football boots. An arsenal is a place where weapons are stored. The phrase does not refer to Arsenal football club.

For information, Arsenal football club used to play at Woolwich (a place in london) Arsenal. Arsenal relocated to North London but retained the name Arsenal. Their nickname is the Gunners. But we call their supporters Gooners. This is a play on words and an elongation of the word Goon. Ha ha
    Last edited by Tricky42; 05-08-2009 at 06:28 PM.

Ha ha, Gunners and Gooners. Who dare to call my Arsenal's fans so?

And, I don't understand this part also, "The most in-form player on the planet was hard enough to stop" . I guess it means "no one can stop Cristiano Ronaldo". Am I right?

I live in HCM city. I've never been to Ha Noi, hic

Neu toi di ve HCM chung ta di choi va uong xxx bia nhe. Co the.... chung ta cung noi ve bong da!

"The most in-form player on the planet was hard enough to stop"

The most in-form player on the planet = Currently the world's best player

The whole sentence could be rewritten in plain English as:

It was hard enough to stop Ronaldo anyway, but his new Nike Orange Peel boots have given him an additional advantage.

:-)
    Last edited by Tricky42; 05-09-2009 at 12:06 AM.

Yes, it sounds an interesting idea, although I will get drunk after drinking two spoons of beer

So see you when you're back to HCMC

Cám ơn anh đã giải thích giùm mớ tiếng Anh rắc rối đó.