Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Keep it together!!!

Thread: Keep it together!!!

Hybrid View

Default Keep it together!!!

hello boys and girls,

ok so i do know what "keep it together" means, when it is used and what it is for. But one thing i dont know is why people use "keep it together"? i mean... why "keep it together" - what are supposed to be together here?

appreciate your explanation, guess, jokes etc...

the question is to do with "it". in which context? why not "them"?

cùng nhau giữ cái gì đó thôi pác ah, chắc ko phải idiom đâu pác

Quote Originally Posted by vietnamese4u View Post
    cùng nhau giữ cái gì đó thôi pác ah, chắc ko phải idiom đâu pác
    hi,

"keep it together" carries meaning of having full attention and determination before going to an event, competition etc...as far as i know.

eg: cornerman talking to fighter before he goes to the final boxing round: "just one last round, you have to knock him out now, you are behind him on the scorecard, you gotta keep it together, allright?"

'Keep' is one of the most productive words in the language; it combines prolifically to make a large number of idiomatic expressions.

I would say that 'keep it together' is not one of the most common forms. I see the example of the boxing match, and that is just about all right, but here are a couple of related idioms which are more commonly used:

Keep it up - use this to express the idea of a state or actions which will continue into the future. It is often used to compliment or encourage someone.

You study for two hours every night. That's really good! Keep it up and you will pass all your exams.

Pull oneself together - use this when someone has lost the ability to deal with a situation, for whatever reason. The meaning is to collect all one's resources so that one can deal with a situation.

You've really let your drinking get out of hand (= exceed the usual limits). Pull yourself together, or you will lose your job!

Get a grip - this is an alternative idiom, which can be substituted for 'pull yourself together' in the above sentence.
    Last edited by rukkhamula; 06-11-2009 at 04:02 PM.

thank you rukkhamula for references and illustration