Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Vietnamese culture question

Thread: Vietnamese culture question

Hybrid View

Default Vietnamese culture question

I would like to give simple gift(s) to a friend who is a woman (33 years old). We are not currently romatically involved. Romance could be a possibility. I do not want to give her a gift that would upset her or imply something not yet realized. She has not been in the US long and measures many things by Vietnamese standards.

In the US I would not give her Victoria Secrects lingerie at this point! Is there a special meaning to certain kinds of flowers? I hope you can understand my concerns.

I would appreciate specific suggestions that might remind her of Vietnam perhaps a flower or plant that is native to Vietnam that has special meaning.

Sorry for the rambling discourse.

Thank you in advance for your help.

P.S. She has used a word that she pronounced as "wah" can you give me an idea of what she meant in english?

Default Vienamese Culture...

I suggest:
    Just invite her to a beef rice-noodles restaurant for example where you can have more to time to talk, then take her a gift shop... (ask her first.) At the store, you can ask her what she likes the best. You know, what to do next.
    Make sure you pay anything at least for now.
    You can show your emotion this way or the other, but do not rush to hug or kiss unless she likes to do so.
    This will help you snake through a lot of unwanted mistakes, not mention about the laguage barrier.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by rswift View Post
    P.S. She has used a word that she pronounced as "wah" can you give me an idea of what she meant in english?
    "wah" is same "wow", I think so. It shows wonder. when she say " wah" meaning she is suprised
    I don't like English, I hate foreign language My English is very "banana" But I must use it So i want to learn English and I can teach Vietnamese for who need it
    my Y!M: chau_truong_sinh

i think " wah" here could mean "qua" in vnmese = very, too,.. in english.
    ex: mac qua = too expensive.

I don't think so, because She uses English. sometime she says " wah " . It mean She is suprised.
    I don't like English, I hate foreign language My English is very "banana" But I must use it So i want to learn English and I can teach Vietnamese for who need it
    my Y!M: chau_truong_sinh

if u have time, pls read again what " rswift" wrote above. Also i said it could mean "qua" i didnt say it was 100%.

if u have time, pls read again what " rswift" wrote above "P.S. She has used a word that she pronounced as "wah" can you give me an idea of what she meant in english?". Also i said it could mean "qua" i didnt say it was 100%.

hdungbeat

I think Xgirl is very correct in saying that "wah" could mean "quá". Because rwift wrote "She has not been in the US long and measures many things by Vietnamese standards" and "remind her of Vietnam" so I conclude that the woman whom we are talking about is a vietnamese. if she spoke English she must have said "wow" that make rwift easy to understand.