Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
war history

Thread: war history

Hybrid View

Default war history

I have a bag that measures 4 3/8" x 7 3/4" from war that contained one bullet and message from US to Vietnamese. Top of bag was to hold a bullet (pictured) and read (in english) "grasp corner firmly and snap" then below "to open along this line". Below the line (separate from bullet compartment) it reads:

chiêu hồi giúp bạn gặp lại cha mẹ, vợ con trong cảnh thanh bình của nước việt tự do, dân chủ. 4-25-69

vDict.com translates to:

rally your help see parents, wife and children in tranquillity of free vietnamese country scene, again democratically. 4-25-69

Then is this information:

ETHYLENE VINYL ACETATE COPOLYMER
    3-70

Can anyone expand on the translation or know more history of this bag?

Quote Originally Posted by querty_man View Post
    I have a bag that measures 4 3/8" x 7 3/4" from war that contained one bullet and message from US to Vietnamese. Top of bag was to hold a bullet (pictured) and read (in english) "grasp corner firmly and snap" then below "to open along this line". Below the line (separate from bullet compartment) it reads:

chiêu hồi giúp bạn gặp lại cha mẹ, vợ con trong cảnh thanh bình của nước việt tự do, dân chủ. 4-25-69

vDict.com translates to:

rally your help see parents, wife and children in tranquillity of free vietnamese country scene, again democratically. 4-25-69

I believe:
    "Chiêu Hồi" ==> "Chiến dịch Chiêu Hồi" ==> "Open Arms" Campaign" launched out in 1965 by using different methods to convince VC. to return to the Vietnamese government..., by spreading leaflets and Medical help etc... over the areas where there were operations conducted by American troops....

So, the translation should be: Turn yourself in (chiêu hôi) so you can see your parents, your wife and kids, and live in peace and feedom of VN.
    3-70

Hope this would help.
    Last edited by MANH NGUYEN; 03-19-2008 at 12:05 PM.

Your translation seems very good. Much appreciated. But it opens more questions.

The lower portion of the bag looks like it would contain some form of printed material--as you suggested. I wonder why there was a picture of a bullet in the top part of the bag. If Americans used these bags to distribute information to the VC then I doubt they would have included a live bullet--as I'd speculated.

It is also strange that the bag was held closed by folding a metal strip made of lead. If the intent was to distribute information to the VC then it seems strange they'd distribute material that could be cast into new bullets.

Your translation seems very good. Much appreciated. But it opens more questions.

The lower portion of the bag looks like it would contain some form of printed material--as you suggested. I wonder why there was a picture of a bullet in the top part of the bag. If Americans used these bags to distribute information to the VC then I doubt they would have included a live bullet--as I'd speculated.

It is also strange that the bag was held closed by folding a metal strip made of lead. If the intent was to distribute information to the VC then it seems strange they'd distribute material that could be cast into new bullets.

Hi,
    Would you mind posting the picture here. I can ask around about this unique item.
    As for the lead piece, I think it acts as weight when it was dropped out of helos or airplanes.

Talking just kidding

vDict.com translates to:

3-70

Put it on ebay man XD Ima bid for it
    Hãy làm những gì mình thích, đừng sống cuộc đời người khác áp đặt cho bản thân mình...

A picture of the bag is attached. I have several bags. A guy at a local gun show gave me a few when I showed interest. Without knowing what it said, it was easy to imagine it went with primitive defensive or destabilization arms given to American allies. One bullet is all it takes to overthrow a dictator. A small village that can cause casualties when confronted is not worth bothering. I'd heard that the CIA did stuff like that in other countries. Armed citizens make dictators uneasy. Perhaps a different war and different time though.

I tend to believe MANH's translation, but it would be nice to know for sure.

If anyone is interested in one of these bags then I'll mail a bag to the two most helpful with translation and history.

A picture of the bag is attached. I have several bags. A guy at a local gun show gave me a few when I showed interest. Without knowing what it said, .
    I do not see any picture. Perhaps you forgot to include the tag/link for the picture in your quote.

A picture of the bag is attached.
    The picture could also be seen in high resolution here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/spamsnar...38337890723426

The picture could also be seen in high resolution here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/spamsnar...38337890723426
    I found it. It was an ammo bag. The GI would discard it in the field, so it would be another way to deliver the chieu hoi message.

http://www.psywarrior.com/ChieuHoiProgram.html
    this link above about 1/3 - 1/2 down the page mentions:
    Paper and Plastic Bags as a Medium of Propaganda

here are some link about this program

http://www.hill4-11.org/memorabilia/chieu.html
    http://hometown.aol.com/wr9r/Chuhoi.html

Beautiful. That solves the puzzle. It was an ammo bag that was also translated:

"Returning Chieu Hoi will help you to again see your parents and family in a peaceful and democratic South Vietnam."

It probably contained ammo on a stripper clip. Every foot soldier probably carried these. A waterproof bag like that would have been handy for letters, pictures, money, pot, and anything else soldiers wanted to keep dry.

A bag is certainly yours for the asking. If interested then email.

s p a m s n a r e AT g m a i l . c o m

Thanks